The title Schindler’s List comes from two un-alphabetized lists, dated 18 April 1945, of Jewish inmates of Brunnlitz in Czechoslovakia, a subcamp of Gross Rosen. The Brunnlitz lists are the only materials in the USHMM Archives associated with Oskar Schindler.
Oskar Schindler (1908-1974) arrived in Krakow in late 1939 following the German invasion of Poland. Schindler assumed responsibility for the operation of two formerly Jewish-owned manufacturers and wholesalers of enamel kitchenware. He later established his own enamel works in Zablocie, outside Krakow. Through the German Armaments Administration, Schindler set up a branch of the Plaszow concentration camp in his factory for approximately 900 Jewish workers.
In 1944, Schindler was granted permission to relocate his defunct enamel works to Brunnlitz, and take with him the Jewish workers from Zablocie. He arranged for the transfer of approximately 800 Jewish men from Gross Rosen, and approximately 300 Jewish women from Auschwitz. In Brunnlitz, the workers were treated as humanely as possible. In 1962, Yad Vashem awarded Schindler the title “Righteous Among the Nations” in recognition of his humanitarian contribution.